While you may realize that leading a healthy lifestyle and reducing your contact with some environmental factors can affect your fertility, what you may not know is that there are foods that works as natural fertility supplements and helps to increase fertility as well. At least, that is the theory that many experts hold. Many of the common beliefs in foods for their fertility diet plan are based on the nutrition they provide and the known effects these nutrients have on the reproductive system.
Following are some of the foods that help to fertility and make your chances of conception even better:
- Fruits and Vegetables – There are lots of vitamins to be found in fresh produce including those that contain antioxidants. These improve your immune system and provide healing which is believed to affect the reproductive system in men as well as women.
- Avocados, Olives, Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, and Healthy Fish – These are foods that contain healthy fats which can help you improve your chances of getting pregnant unlike those foods which contain Trans fats which can lead to infertility.
- Plant Based Foods – In addition to the fruits and vegetables, there are other plant based foods that are rich in nutrients such as nuts, legumes, and more. These are foods that help to get better result for fertility by replacing those foods that will inhibit it, such as food with protein or Trans fats. Some studies have shown that a single serving of red meat per day can decrease your chances of conceiving by nearly 33%.
- Complex and Simple Carbohydrates – Not all carbohydrates are created equal and they can have different effects on your health as well as your fertility. Processed carbohydrates can cause chronically high blood sugar or insulin levels which are symptoms that are common in women who have polycystic ovary syndrome. Anything made with white flour, potatoes, and sugar should be avoided and replaced with fertility foods like whole grains, legumes, and nuts.
- Foods That Contain High Amounts of Folate and Iron – Folate is essential for building DNA, a process that takes place rapidly during conception and pregnancy. It also maintains homocysteine levels to reduce the occurrence of high blood pressure and miscarriage during pregnancy. Not only are the foods that boosting fertility by adding folate to your diet a good choice when trying to conceive, they are also essential throughout your pregnancy. Those foods that contain folate include lentils, spinach, broccoli, romaine lettuce, and oranges. Iron, which also plays an important role in DNA synthesis, can be found in legumes, fruits and vegetables, and other plant-based foods as well.
Fertility diet by supplying you with one nutrient will often provide other nutrients that will contribute to your overall nutrition that is important prior to, during, and after conception. Eating these foods daily will also help you to maintain a healthy weight that is a key factor in fertility.
In addition to eating foods in accordance to fertility diet plan, it is also important for you to avoid some of the unhealthy foods that can impair your ability to conceive such as caffeine, trans fat, or sugar. In addition to contributing to an unhealthy diet, they restrict the amount of healthy foods you are able to consume thereby diminishing your ability to conceive and to have a healthy pregnancy. Get your calories from the right foods and you will increase your odds of becoming pregnant and staying at a healthy weight even after you do conceive!