Pregnancy nausea is experienced by almost 80 percent of pregnant women. It is also called “morning sickness” which is totally wrong because nausea not only attacks in the morning but at any time. Although you may experience this sickness more in the morning time. There are more than one forms of morning sickness and the most prominent of them is hyperemesis gravidarum. A women suffering from it experiences excessive vomiting during pregnancy. She may not be able to eat and drink any food stuff. Another form of morning sickness is unrelenting. During this form of nausea pregnancy a women feels that nobody can understand her. These feelings may also cause depression. However discussing with a fellow sufferer will reduce your anxiety.
What Causes Nausea in Pregnancy :-
Hormones are responsible for causing pregnancy nausea. The most important hormone which causes nausea is human chorionic gonadotropin. Its level is very high during early stages of pregnancy, however, its level reduces during 12th and 14th weeks of pregnant. So nausea during early pregnancy is high however after this period it will ease. Besides this other hormones like estrogen and thyroxin are also responsible for nausea. This is the reason that some of the pregnant women experience nausea even during 12th and 14th week. In addition to hormones emotional states like anxiety, hunger and stress may also cause nausea.
Women Having More Chances of Nausea Pregnancy:-
In following cases you have more chances of experiencing nausea and vomiting in pregnancy.
- Any pregnant women who are expecting twins or higher multiples. The reason for it is that such pregnant women have higher level of human chorionic gonadotropin, estrogen and thyroxin. So such women are more likely to experience pregnancy nausea.
- If you have experienced nausea during previous pregnancy.
- If your body is more sensitive to birth control pills and you experience nausea as a side effects
- Women who give birth to a female child are more likely to experience nausea and vomiting during first trimester.
- If you have history of experiencing headaches.
- If such women of your family like your mother and sisters have experienced nausea in pregnancy then it is more likely that you will also develop it.
It is not possible to prevent nausea completely. It is a natural phenomenon associated with pregnancy. However there are some suggestion by following which you will have less suffering and can stop it from becoming a major issue. First of all you should remain happy and relaxed during entire tenure of pregnancy and if you are experiencing some depression then complementary therapies may help you. Secondly avoid eating spicy, fried and oily foods, as well as try to take rest and do not work so hard.
Some Tips to Ease Nausea:-
Following natural products may be used in home remedies in a different ways to ease nausea.
Ginger can be used very effectively for the treatment of nausea in pregnancy. However it should be used with extra ordinary care if you have stomach problems because it may cause heartburn. You can use it either in the form of tea or medicines. In first case take two table spoons of ginger and boil it in water. After that cool it and use it throughout the day. However do not take it in excessive amount. In second case it is available in the form of capsules. However keep in mind that it may adversely affect your blood clotting mechanism. So if you are using ginger for a period more than three weeks then consult a doctor for checking your blood clotting mechanism.
It may effectively be used as cold alternative if you are feeling hot. Your clothes are irritating you and you want to remove them or you feel irritable and hot tempered then peppermint is best for you. You can take it in two forms either in the form of tea or chewing gum. However its oil does not suit everyone because its smell may further cause nausea related symptoms.
Another useful method for relieving nausea is to press acupuncture point on present on the wrist. In order to apply this pressure you should use wrist bands. However keep in mind that band button is located on the acupuncture point. When nausea attacks you press this button for 30 to 40 times at the interval of one second. However nausea attacks you at a time when you are not wearing wrist bands then you should simply press these two points or you may take the help of someone.
Effects of Nausea on the Health of Baby:-
Nausea during pregnancy generally do not effect child health. The reason for it is that it is more prominent during first trimester. While during this period you just need to keep your body hydrated. After this period your appetite usually returns and you become healthy. In some cases even after this period the symptoms of nausea continue to affect you so in such situations you should take prenatal vitamins. In this way your baby will get all required vitamins. In case of severe nausea your baby will have low weight on birth.
Remedies for Nausea:-
In case of mild form of nausea following simple tips are effective. However in case of severe form of nausea you can use medications.
- Do not lay down immediately after eating as it slows down digestion and hence may cause vomiting
- Try to keep your stomach full by eating frequently something.
- Although carbohydrates seem more appealing during pregnancy but studies have shown that proteins are more useful during pregnancy.
- Those foods smells of which may stimulate nausea should be avoided. Try to eat those foods which you like in that particular tenure of pregnancy.
- Fatty foods should be avoided because such foods usually slow down your digestive system. Similarly spicy, fried and acidic foods should be avoided because these foods will disturb your digestive system.
- Always remember to brush your teeth after eating.
- Do not drink too much water before meal. The reason for it is that water will fill your stomach and you may not feel hungry.